Pages

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Pinterest Playtime: Toothpick fun

My little one is getting older, and closer to the terrible two's. For some time she was easy-going, and I could get away with simple unplanned playtime. As she gets older, I'm finding that if we don't have an activity planned, she gets grouchy. Seldom does she want to just play in her room.
I've been looking at several blogs, and searching Pinterest for easy, fun, and cheap projects for V & I to accomplish.
Our most recent project was one I found here at Chasing Cheerios. We took a shaker jar (think Parmesan cheese shaker at a pizza shop) that I got at the $1 store and a handful of toothpicks. V spent 15 minutes poking the toothpicks in the jar, taking them out & repeating the process.




The jar I used is glass, so I made sure to repeat that we had to be gentle with it. V was very careful. This was a great way for her to concentrate and build her fine motor skills. I think soon we may try the toothpick & marshmallow sculptures.
Lately, I've been spending a lot of time watching the birds at our backyard feeder. The past weekend was the Great Backyard Bird Count. V loves watching the birds at the feeder. A friend told me that when she was little, her mom & her would string Cheerios on a line and hang them for the birds. This project was exactly what we needed this afternoon.
We spent about 20 minutes threading Cheerios on a string. I wrapped the string around a toothpick to make it easier for V. She thought it was a lot of fun. I can't wait for breakfast tomorrow, which is the best time to for us to sit and watch the birds.


 I'm excited to see what birds are at the feeder in the morning. After doing the Great Backyard Bird Count, I'm a lot more conscious about the birds at the feeder. Its fun to teach V the names of the birds and count them.
Have a fun & easy activity? Share it here!

No comments:

Post a Comment