Pages

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Pinterest project #3 (ongoing) Sprouting Cabbage

 I found this pin about re-growing celery using the bottom of the stalk, which lead me to Farm Bell Recipes at Chickens in the Road.
Their post states to cut off the bottom of the stalk, and set it in a dish of warm water for a few days. It will start sprouting, then plant it. According to their post, you can cut & replant the bottom of the stalk repeatedly!
We recently made some Asian slaw (using Alton Brown's recipe). I had my husband save the end of the Napa cabbage. I placed it in a dish of water on the counter. In a couple days, you could see some roots forming, and about a week later there were little leaves growing!

Week 1

 
 Week 2

We haven't planted the cabbage yet, but plan on putting it in a pot soon. Since the weather isn't quite warm enough yet, I don't want to put it in the ground & kill it. In the meantime, I keep changing out the water & it seems to be doing fine. Next, we are trying out this method with green cabbage. This is certainly a fun way of making the most out of our food.

No comments:

Post a Comment